Compare Bronze Health Insurance Plans
What is a bronze plan?
Generally speaking, the Bronze Plan is intended to have the lowest premium of the 4 new categories of plans but charge the highest out-of-pocket costs for healthcare services. For people without group insurance or are ineligible for catastrophic health insurance, the Bronze plan is the minimum health insurance plan in which they can enroll that will satisfy the Affordable Care Act’s mandate for people to purchase health insurance.
Bronze Obamacare Plans
from $49/mo.Get Started
What are a bronze plan's out-of-pocket costs?
Bronze Plans are designed so that insurance companies will pay 60% of covered healthcare expenses with the remaining 40% to be paid by consumers. The consumer’s expenses will be in the form of out-of-pocket fees over and above the cost of the plan’s monthly premium. Out-of-pocket expenses in 2014 are capped at $6,350 for individual plans and $12,700 for family plans.
The 40/60 percentages are based on projected use of healthcare services by plan members. The actual out-of-pocket expenses of any single beneficiary may end up more or less than this ratio but should remain within the range. If you reach the out-of-pocket limits reach the maximum, you could see your share of healthcare costs fall until a new calendar year begins and the annual limit is reset.
Out-of-pocket expenses include fees like deductibles, copayments, or coinsurance. Different plans will approach the 40/60 split in various ways (see the table below) so it is important to research the financial details of a specific plan before deciding which one to purchase. For example, a person who has frequent medical expenses may want a Bronze Plan with a lower deductible (depending on premium) while a healthy person may want the opposite.
Bronze plan premiums
Bronze plans have the lowest premium rates of the four new types of plans since they have the highest out-of-pocket deductibles. However, there may be instances where the Silver Plan for one insurance company may charge a lower premium than the Bronze Plan of another insurance company. Comparison shopping will be essential for anyone who wants to minimize their healthcare expenses.
Compare All Health Insurance PlansFind Plans Now
Pennsylvania-Health-Coverage.com is not a licensed health insurance carrier, and we are unable to directly issue health insurance policies, or alter existing policies. If you wish to inquire about your current plan, please contact your health insurance provider for more information.